Barbara J. McNeil Faculty Award for Exceptional Service to HMS/HSDM
Faculty Award Description
Harvard Medical School promotes an environment where institutional service is valued and recognized. The Barbara J. McNeil Faculty Award for Exceptional Service recognizes faculty who have made exemplary contributions in service of Harvard Medical School and/or Harvard School of Dental Medicine. Commitment to institutional service is necessary to the overall success of HMS/HSDM. This Award was established to recognize and celebrate faculty who have set the standard for service at HMS/HSDM through their personal initiative in providing service and engaging others to do the same. Such service often goes unrecognized and unheralded.
An advisory committee to the Dean will review the nominations and recommend faculty recipient(s). Self-nominations are accepted.
The Barbara J. McNeil Faculty Award was established in 2014 to recognize faculty for exceptional institutional engagement and service in supporting the missions of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine. The Faculty Award for Exceptional Service is named for Dr. Barbara McNeil, Ridley Watts Professor of Health Care Policy and Professor of Radiology, whose outstanding commitment and service to HMS is exemplified throughout her distinguished career at Harvard Medical School where she is a consummate example of service to academic medicine.
Eligibility for the Award
- HMS and HSDM faculty members with a rank of instructor through professor are eligible for this award. However, faculty members who hold decanal positions are not eligible.
- The nomination should indicate how a nominee’s service and civic contributions to HMS/HSDM are extraordinary and have had a beneficial or lasting impact on the school(s) or its community of students, trainees, faculty, staff, and leadership.
- The nomination must demonstrate how service goes above and beyond routine expectations and requirements of the nominee’s position.
- The nomination should include specific example(s) that exhibit the nominee’s exceptional service to Harvard Medical School and/or Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
Examples of faculty contributions to the school might include one or more of the following:
- Serving on HMS/HSDM committees, councils, task forces and panels;
- Participating in activities related to recruitment of students and faculty;
- Volunteering time in support of programs in other departments or offices at Harvard Medical School and/or Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Faculty contributions might also include volunteering their service, professional talents or expertise in support of other departments and programs at HMS/HSDM.
For more information please contact:
Ellen McCarthy, PhD, MPH Pinar Kilicci-Kret
Associate Professor of Medicine & Epidemiology Program Manager
Assistant Dean for Development and Diversity Career Development
Tel: 617-432-7212 Tel: 617-432-1083