Excellence in Mentoring Awards Nominations
DEADLINE for submitting nominations for the 2018 Excellence in Mentoring Awards is: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2017
- William Silen Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring Award ~ requires minimum of 20 years of service at HMS/HSDM, which does not need to be continuous
- A. Clifford Barger Excellence in Mentoring Award ~ there are no required minimum years of service at HMS/HSDM for this award
- Young Mentor Award ~ requires a faculty rank of Instructor through Associate Professor and no more than 10 years of service at HMS/HSD
Your nomination should reflect the extent to which the mentor has provided sponsorship, encouragement and support for the career and/or personal development of yourself as well as for the career and/or personal development of other faculty, trainees, and students. Please be mindful when making your nomination that the mentoring awards honor the efforts and accomplishments of faculty who demonstrate consistent, high-quality mentoring, and are not intended to recognize excellence in teaching.
The guidelines for submitting a nomination are as follows:
- Nominations must include a narrative of how the faculty member’s mentoring has affected your career and/or the careers of others. Nominations without a narrative will not be considered.
- It is often helpful to provide specific anecdotes and examples that demonstrate the ways in which the mentor has invested in personal and professional development of yourself and/or others and has made significant contributions to personal career development, advancement, or retention.
- The following are a few examples of the qualities one might look for in a mentor.
- Long-term commitment to mentoring
- Developer of talent/Coach
- Opener of doors/Sponsor
- Interpreter of organizational and/or professional rules
- Successful role model
- Rule setter/Boss
- Each nominator may nominate only one faculty member for each award category.
- Each nominator may solicit nominations for his/her nominee(s) from no more than 3 other individuals.
- It is expected that faculty members will not solicit nominations for themselves.
- All nominations must be submitted online in order to be considered.