Dean’s Community Service Award
We are now accepting nominations for 2018 Dean’s Community Service Awards. All nominations must be submitted on online.
Self-Nominations are accepted and encouraged.
About the Award
Community service is an integral part of the missions of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine. In faithfulness to this commitment, the Dean’s Community Service Award was established in 1999 to recognize individuals whose dedication and commitment to community service have made a positive impact on the local, national, or international community.
Since the inception of the Dean’s Community Service Award, Harvard Medical School has recognized the contributions of 92 individuals and donated $1,000 to 87 organizations that serve our community. Ten faculty members have been honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award for Community Service.
2017 Dean's Community Service Award Recipients
Herbert S. Birnbaum, DMD
Instructor in Restorative Dentistry and Biomaterials Sciences, HSDM
The Union of Minority Neighborhoods
Michael Goldberg, PhD
Assistant Professor of Microbiology and Immunobiology, DFCI
Sara E. Looby, PhD
Assistant Professor of Medicine, MGH
Healing Our Community Collaborative
Hanni Stoklosa, MD, MPH
Instructor in Medicine and Emergency Medicine, BWH
Gabriel Foster, MD
Resident in Internal Medicine, BIDMC
DR HELP - Dominican Republic
Alister Martin, MD, MPP
Resident in Emergency Medicine, MGH/BWH
MGH Department of Emergency Medicine
Master Candidate 2017, Bioethics Program, HMS
MDiv Candidate, Harvard Divinity School
Scouts for Equality
Samantha A. Wellington
PhD Candidate 2017, Chemical Biology PhD Program, HMS/FAS
Y2Y Harvard Square
Denise Brown, BA
Staff Assistant III, Office of Student Affairs, HMS
Greater Vision Tabernacle Church
In the News:
Harvard Medical School donated $1,000 to support each of the community organizations listed here.
The advisory committee for the Community Service Award will review the nominations and select at least one recipient for each of the four categories:
- faculty member (instructor through professor)
- trainee (house officers, post-doctoral fellows)
- staff member
Harvard Medical School donates $1,000 to the organizations served by award recipients.
All nominations must be submitted online.
We encourage you to nominate someone, whose commitment to and service in the community has made a positive impact on the lives of people locally, nationally or internationally. Self-nominations are accepted.
EXAMPLES of the types of involvement that the committee will consider may include, but are not limited to:
- Service with an established community service organization or faith community that goes beyond what the agency considers to be as work of routine volunteer;
- Creative effort to develop and/or sustain a new program within an existing service agency;
- An overall commitment to service as shown by duration of involvement in one or more programs;
- Development of a one-time service effort, such as an annual event or a disaster relief effort;
- Helping to found a new independent service or program.
Eligibility Criteria for Each Award Category:
Each nominee must meet one of the criteria below:
- Faculty (instructor through professor) must be based at HMS/HSDM or any HMS-affiliated hospital or institution
- Trainee must be a house officer, clinical, research or post-doctoral fellow based at HMS/HSDM or HMS-affiliated hospital or institution
- Student must be enrolled at HMS/HSDM or under the HMS Division of Medical Sciences
- Staff must work directly for HMS or HSDM (i.e., must receive a Harvard paycheck)
Frequently Asked Questions
Please click here for frequently asked questions about the Dean's Community Service Award.
For more information please contact:
Ellen McCarthy, PhD, MPH Pinar Kilicci-Kret
Associate Professor of Medicine & Epidemiology Program Manager
Assistant Dean for Development and Diversity Career Development
Tel: 617-432-7212 Tel: 617-432-1083
Photos by Jeff Thiebauth unless otherwise noted.